Built For Love VI. - Sweetheart Abbey - Master of Ceremony recommends for U
The Sweetheart Abbey was actually founded by Lady Dervorgilla of Galloway as a Cistercian monastery called New Abbey in 1273, in memory of her husband, John Balliol. Lady Dervorgilla was so upset by the death of her husband that she had his heart embalmed, and carried it with her everywhere in an ivory box trimmed with silver; she called it her ‘sweet, silent companion’.
When Lady Dervorgilla died, she was buried beneath the abbey with the box containing her husband’s heart clasped to her chest. After her passing, the monks renamed the abbey Sweetheart Abbey, in her memory.
Today, the ruins of the abbey still stand, but due to centuries of war and pillaging, the original tomb of Lady Dervorgilla is no more.